ABC News’ Devin Dwyer reports: The Obama administration issued a concerned but cautious response to Israel’s attack on a flotilla of pro-Palestinian aid ships bound for the Gaza Strip on Monday.
“The United States deeply regrets the loss of life and injuries sustained and is currently working to understand the circumstances surrounding this tragedy,” said deputy White House press secretary Bill Burton in Chicago, where the President Obama and his family have been spending the holiday weekend .
Officials at the State Department said the agency is also “gathering facts” and has no official statement at this time.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had been scheduled to meet with Obama at the White House tomorrow to discuss restarting peace talks with the Palestinians. That meeting has now been cancelled so that Netanyahu can monitor the Gaza crisis, his office said.
- Devin Dwyer