Ratings Report: ABC News Programming For the Week of April 12-16, 2010


“GMA” Displays Most Growth Among Morning Programs in Both Total Viewers and Key Demo Week-to-Week, Posting Best Numbers in Five Weeks

“GMA” Cuts the Total Viewing Gap with NBC by 21% Year-to-Year

“GMA” Posts Largest Total Viewing Lead Over CBS’ “Early Show” Since 2007

For the week of April 12 th, ABC’s “Good Morning America” averaged 4.450 million Total Viewers and a 1.4/11 among Adults 25-54.

Week-to-week, “GMA” displayed the most growth among all morning programs, increasing 9% in both Total Viewers and in the key demo of Adults 25-54. “GMA” posted its best demo and Total Viewer deliveries in five weeks.

“GMA” significantly reduced the Total Viewing gap with NBC’s “Today,” cutting it by 21% compared to this week last year. Additionally, “GMA” narrowed the Total Viewing gap with “Today” by 1% versus the prior week.

“GMA” posted its largest Total Viewing lead over CBS’ “Early Show” since November 2007. Week to week, GMA’s” demo (780,000) and Total Viewing (2,090,000) leads over the “Early Show” increased +24% and +33% respectively. ABC’s demo lead over CBS versus the same week last year was +28% larger while the Total Viewing lead was +37% larger.

The first 18 weeks of “GMA’s” new anchor team continues to outperform its season-to-date average. The program is up +3% (+50,000) among Adults 25-54 and +2% (+80,000) among Total Viewers. For those 18 weeks, the demo (720,000) and Total Viewing gaps (1,170,000) between ABC and NBC are smaller by -1% and -5% respectively, compared to the season-to-date gap. Additionally, “GMA’s” demo (730,000) and Total Viewing (1,720,000) leads over the “Early Show” are up +6% respectively, versus season-to-date.

The Emmy Award-winning morning news program, featuring the anchor team of Robin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos, Sam Champion and Juju Chang, airs live Monday through Friday from 7:00-9:00 a.m. ET on the ABC Television Network. Jim Murphy is the senior executive producer and Tom Cibrowski is the executive producer of ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

Please note: George Stephanopoulos anchored the broadcast from Moscow on Monday and was off on Tuesday.

MORNING NEWS (Week of April 12, 2010)

Total Viewers Adults 25-54 Households

ABC 4,450,000 1.4/11; 1,780,000 3.4/13

NBC 5,320,000 2.0/15; 2,490,000 4.0/15

CBS 2,360,000 .8/6; 1,000,000 1.9/7

Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI (Total Viewers and Adults 25-54 Live + SD weeks of 4/12/10, 4/5/10, 4/13/09. New Team: Live +7 (where available) and Live +SD 12/14/09-4/18/10. STD Live +7 (where available) and Live +SD 9/21/09-4/18/10

Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...