The chilling security camera recording was made just two days before the successful July 7, 2005 bombings that killed 52 Londoners and just over two weeks before the unsuccessful July 21 attacks, in which peroxide-based bombs failed to detonate.
ABC News has exclusively broadcast pictures of the completed bombs from the failed attempt along with the bomb-making materials and X-rays of one nail-studded device. Those materials were discussed in court earlier this week.
THE BLOTTER RECOMMENDS
The CCTV video showed two alleged plotters, Manfo Kwaku Asiedu and Muktar Said Ibrahim, grinning and chatting as they completed the purchase of 52 gallons of hydrogen peroxide. Their order was greater than the supplies on hand at Pak Cosmetics in Finsbury Park, London, and the manufacturers had to make a new batch of hydrogen peroxide just to meet it.
At Woolwich Crown Court today, the jury in the July 21 trial was played closed-circuit TV images from July 5, 2005. It showed Asiedu and Ibrahim strolling into the store to pick up their order.
They loaded 13 boxes of peroxide onto a hand truck after handing over the equivalent of about $330 in cash, a final payment which followed an earlier deposit of about $195.00.
The highly concentrated peroxide was one of several ingredients in the home-made high explosives the men allegedly helped to prepare. The bombs failed to go off because of too much oxygen in the mix.
In addition to the videotape, the jury was told how the two men loaded the box into the trunk and backseat of their car, a silver Austin Montego.
Asiedu and Ibrahim are accused, along with four other men, of plotting to carry out a series of suicide bombings on the London transport system, using an explosive mixture that contained hydrogen peroxide and chapatti flour. The flour was used to stabilize the volatile mix.
The jury was also shown a picture of a torn-up receipt for the deposit on the peroxide, on which was written, "Deposit for #100. Peroxide at 18%. 50 gallons."
Asiedu, 33, of no fixed address, and Ibrahim, 28, of Stoke Newington, north London, are among six men accused of hatching the extremist Muslim plot to carry out a series of murderous suicide bombings on the London public transport system on July 21, 2005.
The other defendants are: Ramzi Mohammed, 25, from North Kensington, west London, Yassin Omar, 26, from New Southgate, north London, Hussain Osman, 28, of no fixed address, and Adel Yahya, 24, of High Road, Tottenham, north London. Four of the men allegedly tried and failed to detonate rucksack bombs on three Tube trains and a bus.
Asiedu was supposed to have been the fifth suicide bomber but lost his nerve at the last moment, the prosecution claims. Yahya left the country several weeks beforehand.