ABC News' Jonathan Karl reports: There are conflicting reports regarding whether Caroline Kennedy has dropped out of consideration for Hillary Clinton's vacated U.S. Senate seat from New York.
Sources, including one person directly involved in Kennedy's Senate bid, told ABC News she was dropping out, echoing reports quoting anonymous sources in three New York City newspapers and then The Associated Press in an initial report that it later rescinded.
"She's out," the source told ABC.
That source spoke after the AP reversed its earlier reporting, quoting another anonymous source who said Kennedy was staying in the running for the Senate seat after all.
The New York Post, the New York Times and the New York Daily News all quoted unnamed sources saying Kennedy had told New York Gov. David Paterson Wednesday she did not want to pursue the Senate seat vacated by Clinton when she became secretary of state Wednesday.
The Post reported late Wednesday that Kennedy told Paterson she wanted her name withdrawn from consideration due to a "personal reason."
The Times followed the Post, reporting Kennedy had withdrawn out of concern about her uncle Sen. Ted Kennedy's, D-Mass., deteriorating health. Sen. Kennedy suffered a seizure Tuesday during the inaugural lunch. He was diagnosed with brain cancer last year.
Paterson has said he will name a replacement for Clinton soon.